DISCLAIMER: These are the things I suggest a tourist do when visiting Florence (Firenze) for the first time.
Considered by many as the birthplace of Renaissance, Florence is indeed one of the most beautiful place I have ever visited. Every corner, I would recall bits and pieces of things I’ve learned from my World History in High School. Here are my top 5 things to do in Firenze
- Sunset at Piazzale Michelangelo. This plaza offers a panoramic view of the city. The ambiance was soothing and relaxing. The golden hour, plus Italian beer, acoustic music, and the unobstructed view of the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, and Palazzo Vecchio was all I needed for a perfect afternoon.
2. Visit David. The infamous statue of David is housed at the Galleriea dell’Accademia. Aside from Michelangelo’s David, some other notable masterpieces at the Accademia include Michelangelo’s slaves, Rape of the Sabines, Cassone Adimari, Jacopo Di Cione: Incoronation, and many more. We purchased the Firenze card which is advisable if you are visiting more than 2 museums. If not, it is more affordable to just buy the ticket for each museum.
3. See the alluringly beautiful Venus. Housed at the Uffizi Gallery, “The Birth of Venus” remains one of my favorite painting. It is pretty much the first thing I looked for when we visited The Uffizi! Other notable masterpieces here include Coronation of the Virgin by Fra Angelico, Laocoon and his sons by Bandinelli, Madonna witht he Long Neck by Parmigianino, Annunciation by Da VInci and Verrochio, and many more.
4. Climb the Palazzio Veccio Tower. If you want the ultimate view of the Duomo (Florence Cathedra/ Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore), climbing this tower is imperative! Let the photos below speak!
5. Tour or just walk around The Duomo. You haven’t been to Florence if you don’t explore the area. Just keep walking wherever your feet lead you, and make sure to have Gelato with you. 🙂
Other things to do if you have the time: Visit the Gucci Museum (if you’re into that kinda stuff), put a coin into the jaw of a board at the Fontana del Porcellino for good luck, and eat rabbit just for the heck of it! Sometimes you just have to. Haha
As always, thanks for stopping by.